Operations and Administration
Here is an overview of the internal workings of the ministry and the roles of various departments
Africa needs to start producing medicines for itself, with raw materials produced on the continent. It is very risky to depend on complex global supply chains and to be dependent on foreign suppliers for many essential and life-saving medicines. We have the means to develop the local pharmaceutical industry, and we have the manpower. We can control the entire drug chain, from the laboratory to the bedside. Domestic production of generic drugs could help ensure access and affordability. A generic is an authorized and usually cheaper copy of a drug developed by a major pharmaceutical company. Awareness of the potential benefits of local pharmaceutical production is not new. The Pharmaceutical Manufacturing Plan for Africa, launched in 2005 by the African Union Development Agency, included a roadmap to boost local pharmaceutical production and improve public health outcomes. Other initiatives include the African Medicines Agency and the African Vaccine Regulatory Forum. Most recently, 54 African countries co-sponsored a resolution on local manufacturing of medicines, medical technologies and vaccines, which was presented to the WHO World Health Assembly.
Department of Primary Health Care and Disease Control
- Co-ordination and implementation of control activities- Malaria, HIV/AIDS, Onchocerciasis and Tuberculosis & Leprosy.
- Co-ordination and implementation of Reproductive health activities.
- Co-ordination and implementation of Nutrition activities.
- Epidemic Preparedness and Rapid Response activities.
- Training on Occupational Health and Safety.
- School Health Programme activities.
- Collaboration with Development Partners, LGAS and other Agencies.
- Co-ordination and implementation of non-communicable diseases activities.
Directorate of Planning, Research and Statistics
- Health System Development plans (rolling, medium and perspective);
- Monitoring and Evaluation of plan implementation;
- Secretariat of tenders’ board on procurement activities;
- Research into the internal organization and operational modalities, of the ministry;
- Monitoring of performance and efficiency for the various sub-divisions and staff of the ministry against set targets and goals;
- Routine collection and processing of health data relating to the ministry;
- Management of the ministry’s data bank, computer services, library etc;
- Liaison with relevant bodies outside the ministry;
- Organization of the State council on health summit;
- Overseeing the execution of projects and intervention programs such as World Bank project and other similar projects;
- Procurement of medical equipment, essential drugs, dressing and consumables in conjunction with DPS;
- Construction, renovation and equipping of health facilities.
Directorate of Pharmaceutical Services
- Promotion of availability and rational use of essential drugs in Government Hospitals.
- Procurement, storage and distribution of essential drugs to State health facilities.
- Monitoring and control of narcotic drugs in all (private and public) health institutions in the state.
- Co-ordination of drug quality control, drug abuse control and fake counterfeit drug control.
- Training of Pharmacy technicians.
- Supervision of Pharmacy Technicians in service of Local Governments.
- Collaboration with PCN on the registration and issuance of Patent and proprietary Medicine Vendors licences.
- Screening and recommendation of applications for Pharmacists annual licences and registration of pharmaceutical services.
- Inspection of Patent medicine stores and pharmaceutical premises for drug retailing, distribution and manufacturing in collaboration with Pharmacy Council of Nigeria.
Department of Secondary Health Care and Training
- Registration of private health facilities e.g. laboratories, clinics, hospitals, radiological centres, embalmment house, optical services, physiotherapy centres etc.
- Inspection, supervision and monitoring of private and public health care centres.
- Annual renewal of licences of practice of private health care facilities.
- Supervision of health training institutions e.g. school of hygiene and family health.
- Organization of Workshops/Seminar for Public and Private health care providers.
- Coordination and implementation of policy on financial and medical assistance to the needy citizens.
- Distribution of procured medical equipment and instrument to public health facilities.
- Coordination of policy on free surgical operations e.g. general medical, surgical, ophthalmological e.t.c.
- Registration, supervision and monitoring of the board of traditional medicine.
- Representation of the Ministry at the heads of hospitals/ unit meeting of the State Hospital Management Board.
Department of Nursing Services
Monitoring and supervision of nursing practice in public and private health institutions in the State.
- Monitoring and supervision of nursing education in the State.
- Coordination, monitoring, supervision and evaluation of all training institutions for nursing education in the State.
- Coordination of final qualifying examination for general nurses, midwives and per-operative nurses in the State.
- Co-ordination of activities of State Nursing and Midwifery Committee.
- Supervision of admission process for candidates into the College of Nursing & Midwifery, Eleyele.
Department of Food, Water and Laboratory
- Chemical and bacteriological analysis of water to ensure that they do not contain disease-causing entities.
- Carrying out quality control activities on food.
- Preparation of food handlers test and screening.
- Regulation of the operational activities of eateries, canteens, in factory premises,water, food, beverages industries and relevant small and medium scale outfits.
- Inspection of premises where foods are prepared, preserved, stored or presented for sale in order to ensure hygiene and good manufacturing practices.
- Enforcement the enforcement of food regulations and national policy of food and safety.
- Disinfection of private wells for quality assurance purposes.
Department of Administration and Supplies
- Preparation of staff salaries.
- Processing of release of fund requests.
- Coordination of management meeting and departmental activities.
- Processing of retiring officers’ entitlement.
- Establishment matters including; appointment, promotion, discipline and preparation of manpower proposals.
- Preparation of budgets of the Ministry by ensuring a balanced and well-articulated budget in collaboration with the Department of Planning, Research and Statistics.
Department of Finance and Accounts
- To ascertain the propriety of transactions and their conformity with established rules.
- To give evidence of financial accountability.
- To serve as a basis for planning, controlling, decision making and appraisal of the performance of management.
- To ascertain details of financial commitments and the full cost of providing various services.
- To ascertain how capital expenditure will be financed.
The Ministry exercises oversight functions on the following Institutions and establishments;
- LAUTECH Teaching Hospital, Ogbomoso;
- State Hospital Management Board (SHMB);
- College of Nursing & Midwifery;
- College of Health Science and Technology;
- State Primary Health Care Board;
- Oyo State Health Insurance Agency.